Turn Your Old Leather Jacket Into a Chic Bucket Bag

Whoa! I’m the first to admit that I love a good snowstorm. And I have to say, I’m partially to blame for this latest Snowpocalyse. I wished for a white Christmas. I wished for the cold so the snow would stay to cover the mud and brown dead stuff. But, geeze, who knew a Wyoming style blizzard would hit here in my little Eastern Oregon valley. The wind, the cold, the drifts! Plus, the second snow day of the school year. Now, that’s what I’m talking about! 🙂

Not wanting to let a good snow day go to waste, I was able to get in a little creative studio time yesterday and create a little potential project for you…

leather-bucket-bag

Bucket bags are all the rage right now. But they can be super pricey, so if you’ve you’ve been eyeing one of these, you can actually make one of your own for a fraction of the cost.

bucket-bag-3

bucket-bag-2

bucket-bag

Click here for the bucket bag pattern and project directions.

Or perhaps pin for later……

honeycomb-1

Happy Sewing!

27 Responses to Turn Your Old Leather Jacket Into a Chic Bucket Bag

1. WheelyBad says:

Awesome pattern Beth, thank you so much. It would make a lovely gift as well as a gift for myself 😉 I’m seeing canvas, old denim, camo fabric, laminated cotton, anything colourful and hard wearing. I think I’d use the leather look fabric as I don’t have an old leather jacket laying around. Best thing is I can get it for £6-£7 a metre so I could have different colour bags to match an outfit! Pinning…!

• Oh yes, great ideas for fabric variations! That’s the beauty of these kind of things, we can all make them with our own special twists. I’d love to see your bag, if you make one! Thanks so much for pinning and sharing this!

2. quinncove says:

Ahhh great DIY, love it!

3. Carol Glaser says:

As always you outshine yourself!! I love that the dingle balls remind me of snowballs.

4. sewandsnip says:

Great bag. I’ve been saving Mr B’s old leather jacket for ages wondering what to transform it into😃

Great tutorial, Beth. Lots of good photos and easy to understand instructions. Another triumph for you 🙂

6. Beverly Campbell says:

I love this idea. I know what you mean by welcoming a snow day. We live 10 mi. east of Salem Or. and are awaiting another burst of the white stuff today. I have an old purple suede jacket that I will be tearing apart today. Thanks for a great idea.

7. Beverly Frensley says:

I’m a bit confused by how you carry this bag. Can you clear this up on how you make straps and how they are attached. Thanks……another Beverly

8. I’m not sure what you mean Connie.

9. Susan Luke says:

I LOVE it, Beth! You always do such a great job with your ideas and your tutorials! Have fun “sewing while its snowing.” We have finally thawed out over here and are enjoying some blue skies and sunshine at the moment.

• “Sewing While it’s Snowing”!! I love this!! I wish I would’ve thought of it for a title. We’re still buried in drifts over here. But it’s absolutely beautiful! Being born and raised in Minnesota, and living in Wyoming when I was first married, it feels a little like home.

10. Phyllis Chambliss says:

That is a good ideal thank you for sharing.

11. youre so clever thanks for sharing!