Back to School Dress Refashion

When that July page get rips off the calendar and August emerges, it can only mean one thing: back to school clothes. YAY!

It’s even more fun when you’re a kindergarten teacher like me. I love the cute new clothes and haircuts my students proudly wear into my classroom on those first days of school. They are all so cute!

Since I rarely buy new anymore, searching the thrift store racks for fun potential back to school refashions has become my tradition. I found this navy blue sailor dress wistfully similar to a dress of mine from long ago. A few changes were definitely needed though, I can’t go back to school trying to look like my own five year old self, you know.

Back-to-School-Dress-Refashion-Kindergarten

With a few simple changes to the collar, the sleeves and the fit, this dress turned from five year old sailor dress to a more sophisticated nautical ensemble fit for a kindergarten teacher, if I do say so myself.🙂

nautical-dress-before-and-after

Click here to go on over to eHow for the rest of my tutorial for this dress refashion. I’d love to know what you think.

And when you keep getting photo bombed in the field trying to take advantage of some nice evening light, I say just go with it.

[gickr.com]_a18a8ef7-b5ba-4284-f520-45a386d11b8a

nautical-dress-refashion-after

Happy Back to School Shopping!

For more refashion inspiration:

Refashion Tutorials

27 Responses to Back to School Dress Refashion

1. mpthriftychic1 says:

OMG! Beth I will have to find my sailor dress picture from elementary school. I had a red one just like that and had the same hairdo at the time too. I bet we could look like twins except… your teeth are a lot straighter LOL! So cute!

2. Lindsay says:

This is soooo cute! I struggle with keeping my work clothes varied which is one reason I wanted to learn to sew (but jokes on me, because I have yet to sew anything wearable, ha) — I really adore the inspiration from your school photo!

3. Katie says:

Love the pictures!

4. Ronnie Sew Loca says:

That dress is so cute! I was very curious to see how you refashioned the sleeves, so simple!! I have a thrifted dress that needs these simple alterations and your tutorial is great ! Oh, I had that same haircut in first grade too LOL!!

5. I both want and need a dress like this! It is adorable – even cuter than when you were 5 even!

6. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts and
    I am waiting for your next write ups thanks once again.

7. love the transformation…had a Sailor Dress too…and loved it!…

8. Candy says:

Love your sailor dress refashion! I had a sailor dress too. I am also a teacher in a rural high school. I am refashioning and altering like crazy to get ready for back to school. I work with many 22 – 25 year olds, so I really need to “up my game.” Thanks for the inspiration.

9. LynnMarie says:

Love the sailor dress re-fashion! It looks so cute on you.

10. Jo H. says:

Aww … you were a sweetie back then, too! Love how you updated this dress. As usual, your directions are so clear. The horse in the photos made me smile!

Another clever refashion, Beth🙂 I recognize the 5 year old’s haircut from my own kindergarten picture🙂

12. So cute….both way back then and now!

13. Maria del Socorro says:

Gracias,son ideas muy buenas y no ayudan a despertar nuestra creatividad