Studio Sneak Peek: Part One

Sheesh-ka-bob!

I’ve been having a blast working on the new sewing studio.

Let me just sit here a minute or two and catch my breath before I take you back up those thirty two steps for a sneak peek.

I don’t know if I mentioned this, but the studio is HUGE! There’s a kitchen, a bathroom, two medium sized rooms and a HUMONGOUS space with 20 foot ceilings. I should also mention that it’s old and rather rough around the edges. So I decided to just go with the funk factor and decorate in what I’m calling “Funky Cheese-ball” which is actually thrift shop chic (of course) with a dash of vintage 60’s and 70’s thrown into the mix. Can’t take this sewing studio thing too seriously, you know.

But I’m totally in love with it and I have a hard time leaving at the end of each day.

Get a load of this great second hand curtain fabric that has been tucked away under the camper couch for years that was perfect for the kitchen.

curtain-fabric

And of course, you absolutely have to have a great big cheese-ball lamp to go with all those pineapples and peacocks, don’t you think.

lamp

Then there really is no better barware that goes with Funky Cheese-ball than these thrifted turquoise and gold beauties.

Fred Press Vintage Glasses

Just so you know, it hasn’t all been cleaning, thrifting, painting and decorating. There has been some sewing going on here, too.

studio-sneak-peek-9

And of course I had to find a spot for my most favorite typewriter EVER!

studio-sneak-peek-11

I wonder what I did to deserve all the generosity from the thrift store gods lately? Funky Cheese-ball lamps have practically been falling out of the sky.

studio-sneak-peek-14

It’s not all peacocks, barware and light fixtures. There is some evidence of sewing….

studio-sneak-peek-12

Now really, who do you know that has a blue oval mirror? And who would actually offer to lend you their blue mirror for your studio?

My friend Linda! That’s who!

And if you’ve been following my blog for awhile, then you know how much I hate to mend. I know weird, huh! The words on the mirror are so ironic, but so fitting.

studio-sneak-peek-15

So, before we head back down those thirty two steps, I think it’s worth mentioning that I have a new man in my life. I’m totally enamored with his sexy turquoise, his masculine goldness and all his delicious designs. I just can’t get enough of…

studio-sneak-peek-16

…Fred Press.

Where has he been all my life?

I want it all. (Hint, hint)

Well, there is still a long way to go before the studio is ready for the big Book Launch Party, but I thought it would be fun to keep updating you as it is slowly transformed.

Next time… more funky lamps and some painted 70’s mediterranean cheese-ball goodness….🙂

If you came here for refashion inspiration and not visions of Funky Cheese-ball decor, click on this picture:

Easy DIY Refashion Tutorials

40 Responses to Studio Sneak Peek: Part One

1. Anny says:

Totally funky fun! You’ll love sewing there OR just hangin’ out!

• I love, love, love being there, Anny. If it only had a shower, I’d be tempted to move in.🙂 It was an artists painting studio for 25 years before I moved in. You can Google Don Gray and see some of his work. It’s cool knowing that many great works of art were created there. It has great energy, especially in the big room with the high ceilings. Stay tuned for more funky fun!

2. How groovy! We just threw a 70’s themed party so I’m hyper aware of all that is 70’s around me and at the thrift shops. Can’t wait to see more.

You just got me inspired to finish my sewing/craft room. I brought a bunch of stuff home from work that is cluttering my fun space. Now I’m inspired to find it a home and make my area fun again. Btw. Those are the cutest glasses (and candle holders?)I’ve ever seen and match my kitchen colors.

• I know what you mean about the clutter. That’s why I moved into this space, my stuff was taking over the house. Clutter really does get in the way of inspiration. Have fun unearthing your happy space.🙂 As far a s the glasses go, I scored at my thrift shop a few weeks ago and got two big boxes full of vintage 60’s and seventies glassware literally for a song. My studio cupboards are full of turquoise and gold goodness! They make me so happy that sometimes I just open the cupboards and stare at it all. Have a great day!

4. Lillie Keeton says:

Love the new studio items and turquoise/aqua is my favorite color.

5. Awesome photos! What a tease! Everyone is going to awestruck when they finally get the invitation to visit your little place of paradise!

6. Beautiful space, Beth. Did I miss something? I didn’t know you had a studio.

7. I love how you went for it! Midcentury modern will ALWAYS be cool. I agree about Fred Press, we want more!!

8. Anne Fraser says:

Love your refashions and am happy viewing your new studio finds too. I’m sure there is more of a buzz to finding perfect vintage than there is to buying new. Will you do classes in there? – not that I could get there, living in New Zealand, but the world needs people like you. I can just see how a class would work with people bringing in items they want help to refashion.

• Hi Anne! Yes, finding just the right piece in a thrift shop for very little money is quite exciting! And I have considered renting out the space for classes or craft parties. It’s really got so much potential. Have a great weekend!

9. love all of your “finds”…truly…a girl after my own heart!

10. melissa Shetter says:

I am so sew impressed!  Are you having an open house?  Do you have regular times that you are there?  I would love to drop in and visit!!!!!!                 Melissa

11. loving your new man fred press haha funny post🙂

12. LynnMarie says:

LOVE what you are doing with your new studio space! I think you should have an INVITE Giveaway to one lucky person and please let it be me!

Wow, Beth…now I see that not only do we have similar taste in clothing and refashions, but in everything else too🙂 I purchased similar turquoise/gold vintage glasses for my daughter recently, and a big orange glass ball lamp for myself. I also love your turquoise/gold candle holders, the turquoise ottoman, and your orange chair. We are truly kindred spirits!

14. Pingback: Summer DIY T-Shirt Series: Embellished Neckline | The Renegade Seamstress

15. amy says:

SO jealous of your amazing thrift store finds! You’ve inspired me to go thrifting soon😀 Oh! That fabric and those glasses? LOVE!!

16. Oh – you KNOW this is right up my alley! Those glasses are beautiful and while I have found a few here and there, a whole set of them would be over $100 here so you have a fabulous collection! I have a question Beth: Do repurpose/refashion/sewing blogs have a place like we who cook do? Like http://www.Yumgoggle.com? Where you would post a picture of your refashion and then the link to go back to your blog?

17. Everything is looking great Beth! Congrats to you. I would have a hard time leaving as well.🙂

18. This is soooo exciting!! I can hardly wait to see more!

Sounds – and looks – like a great space and I love what you are putting in it! How nice to have a dedicated space for your creativity. Looking forward to seeing more!

20. Barb says:

Is the studio ready for one burgundy leather couch?? We are wanting to get it out of Tucker’s garage!! (I am having a garage sale the 19th if you have anything you want to throw in I will sell it for you). You might have to come take a look on Friday! I don’t think I have any cheese-ball lamps, but maybe some cheese-ball something-or-other!!

21. Lynn says:

I can’t seem to find any updates on your studio…am I missing something? Would love to see itM