Talk about some serious “PURSE”-onality!
This week has been full of great bag refashions from all the contestants and everyone who sewed along. Thanks to all of you for being a part of this great challenge. It’s been so much fun!
Now on to the winner of this week’s challenge.
The winner is…..
Gema from Sequins and Slippers!
She wowed us this week by totally revamping a hat to create this fun bag! Such a unique idea, Gema.
Congratulations, you are the winner this week!
But now comes the hard part again,
we have to tearfully say “see you later” to one of the most enthusiastic Refashion Runway contestants EVER!
I’m so sad to see Sylvia from Her Kitschy Majesty have to go. I’ve really enjoyed her energy and style.
But she won’t leave us without a great prize from Lekala Sewing Patterns. They will be giving Sylvia 10 free custom sewing patterns. You send in your measurements and they will send you your custom patterns. How cool!
I will also be sending her a copy of my latest book, The Refashion Handbook.
Let’s take a look at Sylvia’s unique Maxi Dress Refashion from this week:
“Finding a good maxi anything was always a very personal mission on
my end. Try finding a maxi dress that would look good on that 6ft+ slender
to skinny frame of mine. I double dare ya.
Having said that, I never found the perfect maxi to buy. This left me with
the only option to create some myself!
I had these two gorgeous curtains that were laying around waiting for their
turn. The first one is a two-piece set of curtains with hems and all – but
they were quite see through, so I needed to cover it up a little. I used
the second white curtain to create an undergarment to the maxi I had at
I had a couple of different scenarios and designs in my head but having
recently spied a massive trend of Grecian style maxis, I decided of going
with it – not only would it provide me with a versatile and comfortable
summer garment, but it was piece-of-cake job to do.
First, I sew the two orangey-yellow curtains to each other, and the seams
where I sew them together, would become the front and back of the dress. I
left some slits on the upper sides to create the new neckline and backline,
and on the lower sides, as well – to ease movement with the dress – they
would go again as front and back slits at knee height. Next, I laid the new
structure on the white curtain to measure and cut a kind of undergarment. I
cut a large rectangular (consisting of two layers – for front and back of
the undergarment), folded it and just cut it some armholes and a neckline.
Then I sew the undergarment’s front and back together and attached it to
the outer part and I was done.
I imagined the dress with a cinched waist to give it some structure but as
it turned out, it worked even better when not belted. I wore it to my best
childhood friend’s birthday party, and I was sure – I totally made the most
comfortable party maxi in Grecian dresses history!”
I’m going to miss your dramatic flair Sylvia! I hope you’ll continue to sew along with us for the rest of the season! And please keep in touch.
Next up: Maxi Skirt or Dress Challenge