A Dress Fit For a Kentucky Derby Party: Simplicity Sew Simple A1394

I know! I know!

The Kentucky Derby is supposed to be all about the hats.

(Oh yes, and maybe a little bit about the horses, too.)

Kentucy-Derby-Dress-2015

So, why am I showing my hat when it’s truly so very basic and plain considering the amount of work that goes into many of the hats that grace the Churchill Downs?

Well, because, this year, when I was invited to attend the Kentucky Derby Party at the Rialto in downtown Portland, I decided to put all of my energy into making a dress instead.

Kentucky-Derby-Dress-

And this time it wasn’t a refashion.

WHAT!!!!???!

I actually sewed from a pattern for the first time in years and I liked it.

The Simplicity Sew Simple A1394 really did live up to it’s name. It was so simple and only needed one adjustment for me.

Kentucky-Derby-Dress-Pattern

The twist at the waistline sat too low for me so I raised it up at the sides and after looking at these photos, I might even raise it up a bit more.

The fabric was from Joann Fabrics and I love the way it hangs and flows when I walk.

Beth-and-Linda

I highly recommend this pattern, if you’re in the mood to make a maxi. So quick and easy and super comfortable to wear.

It is definitely a winning pattern in my mind.

Speaking of winning…. I placed my bet on American Pharoah this year and actually won some money!!! Miracle of miracles!

Since I didn’t put much energy into my hat, I thought you might like to see a few of the amazing hats and people from the Kentucky Derby party at the Rialto this year.

Kentucky-Derby-Party-Hat

Kentucky-Derby-Party-Hat-1

Kentucky-Derby-Party-Hat-3

Kentucky-Derby-Party-Hat-Contest

Kentucky-Derby-Party-couple

Kentucky-Derby-Party

Aren’t they all so cute!

Thank you so much, Susan and Craig for inviting me again this year. I had a wonderful time!

Susan-and-Craig

Until next year…

Kentucky Derby Party

For more sewing inspiration:

Kentucky Derby Dress

10 Responses to A Dress Fit For a Kentucky Derby Party: Simplicity Sew Simple A1394

1. Kathleen says:

Everyone looks fabulous! …and looks a great time had by all, as well! The dress is lovely.and is so flattering on you.

2. Carla says:

Your dress is very nice. What type of fabric did you use–challis or knit? I love your friend-in-the-pink-sweater’s dress! The hats are lovely, too!

3. Barbara Ely says:

That was the dress you had on when I came to sub that afternoon. It does flow nice. I made a halter dress from a pattern a few years back. I decided I’m too old for this halter style. I’ll have to show it to you some time.
    P.s. I saw that sewing machine in the background……you girls!!!😄
    P.p.s. I love subbing in your class, had a lot of fun! Thanks for having me.

4. Paula Peichel says:

Great maxi dress and pattern. I would like to make this too. Thank you for sharing!

5. cathy diacetis says:

Nice dress and hat, but where did you find that horse? Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 01:08:27 +0000 To: cadiacetis@hotmail.com

6. Kris Martens says:

I love it!

Love the dress! The hats are so beautiful!

8. Denise says:

I have been searching for this pattern and cant seem to locate. Is it an online purchase?

9. Julie A. Weaver says:

I love the dress! It looks really nice on you! I was wondering if you could post a review on patternreview.com ? It took me a bit to find a review at all until I came across yours. 🙂 I just bought the pattern and wanted a little insight on how well the pattern fit according to the measurement stated. Thanks for any helpful info. 🙂