How to Alter a Too Big Skirt With a Waistband

Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE summer?

Not just because of the warm weather and swimming.  But the “I actually have time make dinner for my friends who need help” kind of summer. The “get up and go walking every morning” kind of summer. The “I actually have time to clean off my counter” kind of summer. The “read a book” kind of summer. The “I actually have time to sew” kind of summer.

Or, to be more specific, the “I actually have time to alter a skirt” kind of summer.

Perhaps you’ve lost some weight recently and your favorite skirt is now too big. Or maybe you found the perfect skirt and the only one left was a size too large. Paying for the needed alterations to save these skirts can get expensive, but with just a little sewing experience, you CAN alter the skirt yourself and save lots of cash.

No need to be intimidated by a waistband either. It’s really not as hard to alter it as you might think. Here, grab my hand and I’ll show you how.

How-to-Alter-a-Skirt-Before

How-to-Alter-a-Skirt-After-close-up

How-to-Alter-a-Skirt-after-2How-to-Alter-a-Skirt-Before-and-After

Click on one of the pictures or here for the full tutorial on how to alter a skirt.

A big thanks to those of you who click on the “I found this tutorial helpful” button over at eHow. A big thank you to those of you who leave comments. And a big thank you to those of you who share it on Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter. When you do those things it helps me continue to bring you refashion/sewing tutorials and other fun things like Refashion Runway!!!

Speaking of Refashion Runway, I’m so excited for tomorrow. I’m going to introduce you to the eight amazing people who will be participating this season. WOW! You guys didn’t make it easy for me to choose. There were so many great entries, I might have to host another season, just so everyone who applied can participate.

See you tomorrow!

For more refashion inspiration:

Easy DIY Refashion Tutorials

15 Responses to How to Alter a Too Big Skirt With a Waistband

1. Claire says:

Nicely done. This give me more options when searching the thrift shop.

• Hi Claire, I can’t tell you how many times I used to leave things at the thrift shop because it didn’t fit me quite right. When I learned how to alter things to fit, it opened a whole new world.🙂 Hope you’ll be able to use this sometime in the near future. Have a wonderful day!

Great tutorial, Beth. I have a few skirts that are too big; you have inspired me to give it a go🙂

Can’t wait for the Refashion Runway!

3. Skirts are always too big on the waist! Thanks for the post! Feel free to check out our blog, http://www.twinspiration.co🙂

4. Really nicely done Beth! Your steps are so clear and easy to understand and the resulting skirt fits you perfectly! I have to say that your pictures of each step are really beautiful too–I suspect they’ve always been beautiful, but now that I have a good camera and am in the position of trying to explain my process via photography, I’m understanding that a whole lot goes into taking good pictures of close up sewing work. I’m looking forward to the Refashion Runway.

• Thank you so much, Elizabeth! I really enjoy the whole process of the photography. From setting things up to editing and getting things just right is so much fun to me. I could seriously do it all day long.🙂

5. Donna in VA says:

Just wanted to say those sandals are really cute too.

6. I’m getting caught up – I missed your posts and found I wasn’t following you anymore! How did that happen? Excellent tutorial and very pretty summer outfit.

7. Debbie says:

Stumbled upon your site today via Pinterest. I’m a 50-something with no kids at home, no grandkids yet, and just wondering what to do with myself when I’m not working. You have inspired me to get out my sewing machine! Thank you!

8. Miketa says:

Great tutorial! Looks easy and like something I can do!

9. Sandra says:

I have on with thick elastic waist (about 1″)