How to Add Decorative Trim to a Button-Down Shirt

Pop some pattern into your wardrobe by combining a floral and a plaid. Simply sew some fun, floral fabric to the button plackets and give a classic plaid shirt a fresh new look.

decorative-trim-after-4

decorative-trim-materials-needed

decorative-trim-pin

decorative-trim-after-4

Get the full step by step directions here.

For a photo list of more refashion inspiration:

Refashion Tutorials1

16 Responses to How to Add Decorative Trim to a Button-Down Shirt

1. Noddfacrafts says:

Love the co ordinated fabric!

Noddfacrafts
    noddfacrafts.wordpress.com

2. atkokosplace says:

Fantastic! Loved the tutorial too! Thank you kindly for sharing! :)Best, Koko

Great fabric choices for print-mixing! Love the colors too🙂

4. Lori M. says:

Looks great, I may have to do this to a couple of my granddaughters shirt……

5. Margie says:

I really like your choice of fabrics too. Very clever! Thanks for the suggestion.

6. Denice says:

I Love that never would of thought to add i will to all my western shirts ….

7. Crystal says:

Love this! I just bought your book on Amazon and super excited. I hate clothes shopping – love the clothes, hate the work to get stuff plus it’s ridiculous how much one shirt can cost. So after using up some gift cards today (from my 40th BDay last Oct) I will be hitting the goodwill tomorrow and as a small/petite person, will absolutely need to hem and recreate which is actually exciting. Ironically it’s more work but somehow more fun. Perhaps that’s because I like sewing, I can save money, and it will fit the way I want it to. Thanks so much for your blog and doing what you do.

8. cathy diacetis says:

I love the colors in that flannel shirt~ And the boarder of course! If you ever need a new home for it give me a call! To: cadiacetis@hotmail.com

9. I love it; so going to have to do this! I love the necklace, too!

10. ooobop! says:

I was just talking yesterday about how I love subtle details like that. The colours are spot on Beth x

11. very cool idea. so (sew) simple….why do I struggle with refashion ideas when you make it look so easy?? I need to open my mind in the sewing room! My challenge for the rest of 2015, don’t hem myself in. (ha–pun)

12. Annette says:

I love it imagination glore how can I get more information

Beautiufl tutorial, but couldn’t pin it -when I tried I got “Oops!
    Sorry! We blocked this link because it may lead to spam.” response from Pinterest. Thought yu might want to know.