DIY: Zucchini Refashion

I refashioned a zucchini.

No, it wasn’t exactly like the Project Runway Unconventional Challenge but it is seriously good news for all of you with wagon loads of this prolific squash.

Who knew zucchini could be refashioned into an apple???!!?!

Well, Katie did, that’s who!

A few days ago, I was just sewing away, minding my own business when she emailed this amazing Zucchini Cobbler recipe to me with her good review.

Despite being slightly skeptical, I got right to work peeling, de-seeding, chopping and cooking my pile of this infamous green vegetable.

The smells coming from the oven were promising, but the taste test was going to have to wait until we got back from watching Brooke in the fair parade.

No one knew it was made from zucchini and my lips were sealed.

When we returned, I dished up a couple of healthy servings for my men, topped it with some vanilla ice cream, sat back, and smugly waited for their reactions.

I just saw the usual flashing of spoons, heard the smacking of lips, and watched as they plowed through the cobbler (this is literally what Huntington men do when they eat).

Just before they were finished with their first bowlful, I asked what they thought of it. Both swore it was an apple cobbler.

I had to try it now.

Unbelievably Delicious!

I still can’t believe it’s not apple!

So, next time you’re inundated with zucchini, don’t throw it on your neighbor’s doorstep, ring the doorbell and run….

try this easy recipe instead. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

Thanks, Katie!

If refashioning vegetables isn’t your thing, you might like this instead:

Enjoy your day!

This entry was posted in Refashion, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to DIY: Zucchini Refashion

1. Chelsea says:

This looks so great! I put it in my “To Eat” bookmarks folder!

2. Cara Olsen says:

Is there anything you can’t do??
    I have actually had the pleasure of trying this recipe once before, and I’ll tell ya, I would never have imagined it could taste good, let alone delicious! I doubt I could make it, but I am certainly happy to eat it.😉

Hope you are well. Thinking about you!

~ Cara

• Hey Cara,
      I was skeptical myself and I wouldn’t have believed it would be so tasty either. But my own picky taste buds LOVED it. I probably should have mentioned that I cooked the zucchini in real freshly squeezed lemon juice and not the bottled stuff. Just might be the winning ingredient.
      We are enjoying our summer and I hope you are as well!

3. Penny says:

Can’t wait to try this amazing recipe. I can finally put that wagon load of zucchini to good use and our granddaughter can have her wagon back.

4. Sounds great! And Zucchini is coming on strong now.

5. Katie Kinney says:

I am glad you posted and others might get to enjoy it too! When I made this, I had pregnancy brain, and forgot to peel the zucchini, I was worried but it still tasted like apples! I also wasn’t as fancy as you and I used the bottled lemon juice. I hope dad and Cooper will still eat it now that they know the secret😉 -Katie

• Dad actually thinks it’s better than apples. They were both amazed! I keep sneaking a taste when I walk by the pan and, YEP, it still tastes like apples! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

6. We have zucchini coming out our ears. I am super excited to try this recipe this weekend. Thanks much Beth.
    Paula

wow! The perfect recipe for someone (like me) that has MANY z. plants! Thank you, I will try it!
    Who knew there was another way to refashion a zucchini! Jakki

8. Jill says:

Makes sense that this would be good. Zucchini bread is fab, so why not this? I HAVE to try this. Thanks for sharing!

9. No way!! I so gotta try this!! Looks deelish!

10. blankenmom says:

LOVE, Love, love this idea! I will definitely be slipping this one past my boys! (I also add liver to their meatloaf and they’ve never known it. Makes it very moist!) Bwahahaha!

11. Pingback: Zucchini Here, Zucchini There, Zucchini Everywhere « dettamoda

12. Jill says:

Hi Beth. So I refashioned my zucchini today and the recipe you shared is a winner. I may share it on my blog with a nod back to you. The recipe is too good to keep it to myself. And it does taste almost like apple cobbler. The smell while it was baking was heavenly. Love your blog. Thanks for sharing.

• Hey Jill,
      I just made another batch today for my skeptical son’s family and now they are all believers too. I love it and it’s a great way to use up all that pesky zucchini!
      I’m so glad you tried it and liked it!

13. Pingback: What Does a Renegade Seamstress Do With a Zucchini? « Afternoon Artist

14. Pingback: Zucchini Here, Zucchini There, Zucchini Everywhere | dettamoda